Sep 17, 2009

Tankas, Designs, and Gender Roles.

I am home, finally, after a 6-7 hour Art class o_o

We had to draw a design, with the following criterias;

1. Use an equilateral triangle, a perfect square, and a perfect circle, inside a 3 x 3 box.

2. Must be assymetrcial.

3. The shapes must all touch, or cross over, the 3 x 3 border.

4. At least one of the shapes must overlap another.

5. Be sure to draw an 'assume' line for one of the shapes.

And that's what I did for around 6 hours. Seriously. And on top of that, I don't really have an art kit yet, because I'm not even sure if I'll be taking this class or not?

Because seriously. Undecided major. 6 hour art class. 3 other classes in a week. And the homework you usually get for an art studio class, usually takes up 6 hours to complete. It says so in the syllabus. And procrastinator that I am, that can only mean trouble.

I still have to get done with writing a Tanka (the most popular form of Japanese poetry - consisting of 31 syllables' strictly) for my Creative Writing class.

I wrote one in the last class, with my 'writing group', and we don't have a name for it yet. Jeez, that reminds me, I have to come up with one, and then print the poem out tomorrow morning. -sigh-

But the tanka we did write, is about .... the rain. Why? Because he told us to write about 'the current mood' and it was about to rain outside. So I suggested rain. And there we have it.

I'm not going to put that poem up, because I didn't write it all by myself, I was just a contributor. But the poem I'm going to write in a while, I'll probably put that up. Not for critique, but for opinion. My art professor, who likes being called just "Rebekah", (and likes spelling her name Rebekah, for that matter) told us how there is a difference.

In other news, my cousin just told me something interesting.

Apparently, there was a debate in her class or something, about gender roles and how thinking and opinions differ between men and women. And the group that had the best report and what not, got asked by the professor where they got their inspiration from. Note, that my cousin lives in karachi. Guess what my cousin's friend answered? Yes, my cousin's friend, not even my own cousin.

She said 'she got it from this blog on the internet'. Now guess whose blog I'm talking about.

Round of applause ladies and gents, for I am taking a cyber bow right now. And my inflated self esteem has sky rocketed, thank my cousin and the various other females reading my blog for that.

But here's the cons of being an author. You can either be a best selling author, or a really good author. You can either make loads of money, or go unnamed in an english class while the pupil talk about your work without even knowing who you are.

She did however, say my name out loud in class and what not, so that's got to be something at least.

Dear unknown female. If you are reading this right now, thanks for the kind words. Now, please comment on this post? And don't stop spreading the word. Mucho gracias, and respect, however you say that in spanish.

Is it ironic that the class that day was about how men and women think? I so am the next Deepak Chopra.

I remember when a similar thing happened in a class room in Riyadh.

Moving on, Season 6 of The Office is going to air in half an hour, and I still have to order a pizza. And then a can or red bull later, I have to get started on both the poem, and also a response to another poem I read in English 102.

-sigh- College can get hectic. And hectic is an understatement.

3 comments:

Roshni said...

You're famous!
....and...I was never an arts person..Good luck with that. One of these days you'll have to explain how the whole american Uni system works..... 'cuz maaayynn is it confusing?!! I mean..whats with the majors and minors.. Here in the UK, we just pick one subject that we study thoroughly when at Uni..for example, Engineering, Law, Psychology, English Lit... bla bla.... what I understand in America, you guys have to take compulsory modules like history and maths... thats sooo high school.

Daanish said...

I could explain the whole deali-o to you, but it would take time and much more space than a blogger comment box.

Thanks tho, I'm pretty anxious about the art class.

And the compulsory modules also have options within themselves, it's just stuff they expect you to know, if you're in college. Stuff like psychology, that works with every other major, because you only get to figure out how the human brain works. And there's English and Math, that's 'college level', because you oughta know that stuff too considering you ARE in college. There's more complications though, I don't wanna get into detail right now.

Thanks for the comment =]

Anonymous said...

umm hi! oh man..uh wow i didnt you d mention something like that..lol thanks to you i got an A..your theories are really out of the world.. and &p i dont really think you should shoot the sarcasm towards your cousin.. if only you knew how she 'grilled' me for not commenting ever..lol though she looks really cute when she stands up for you like that..lol..im so dead if she reads this..anywho, you keep up the 'beyond words' work up! sarah