Jan 2, 2009

The Good Things In Life?

Life is an adventure. So, I've experienced living completely alone, in a relatively-unknown place, for more than a week.

Something I am liking about this lifestyle? You really can't be too sure what's going to happen next. There are no plans, except immediate ones. And I never really know what to expect. So yay.

Something I don't like? I haven't had a proper social interaction with another human being in more than a week. Which is kinda depressing, to be honest.

Here are some of the things I have to go through!
I had a rat infestation in the apartment. Three rats, to be exact. Two, have been missing for the past few days (hope I don't jinx that) and one of them I had to literally throw out. How did I manage that? Well, the sneaky bastards were smart. I would leave bread or any other edible substance, stuck to the mouse trap, but they would manage to eat it and the trap wouldn't even go off. I found this other trap, which was nearly impossible to set, and went off on my hand around 5 times, and when I found it the other day, it had actually gone off, but the piece of bread was missing and so was any carcass of a dead mouse.

But then, came a stroke of good luck. I cleaned out the waste baskets, and set a new trash bag. And what the mice would do, they would climb inside, devour any left over food they could get their filthy hands (or whatever it is mice have) and then climb back out due to the lots of trash in the bin. But, that day, there were only a few crumbs of pizza crust. And therefore no leverage to climb out. I walk into the kitchen, lights closed and all, at 2 or 3 in the morning, and I hear a mouse moving around in the waste basket. My first idea was to grab a broom and kill the bastard as soon as it came out of the bin. But to my surprise, he actually couldn't! So I just wrapped up the top of the trash bag and chucked it out of the door, into the cruel, cold night, hoping for the bastard's demise. Which it might've come. Or, it might have sneaked into someone else's house, but bottom line, I got rid of my problem.

Second problem that I have been having; stupid American telecom companies actually charge for wireless service on your cell phone, even if you are just attending the call and are at the recieving end. Your so-called talk-time minutes run out, even if you're on the phone against your will. Corporate cruelty, I say. So I have been running on just 30 minutes for the past week. How do I manage? Well, Saturdays and Sundays are Free as well as anytime after 9PM and before 6AM. But come on, what if I have to make calls at other times?

I don't have a social security number or a STATE ID, with which I could get my own postpaid plan, because all offices have been shut due to the never-ending december-jan holiday session.
Apart from that, I haven't have been able to even get a bank account, and check this out; I need a Bank Account, so my Dad can send me money to register for classes, right? And for a Bank Account, I need a legit College ID. And how do I get a college ID? I can't unless I register for classes... I know, right?

Also, my friend has been running internet by these mysterious wireless signals that crossed paths with the apartment. But for the past 4 days, that mysterious Wi-Fi provider has been missing in action. Literally, missing. Completely off the radar. However, I do get signals if I sit outside the apartment window, on the sheltering roof of the people living below us, in the very, very cold.

And just how cold is it, you ask? Freezing. And I'm not just being melodramatic or cliche'. My first few days here? I actually saw ice a thin layer of Ice around the sewers.
In fact, if I leave a glass of water outside my window? I'm willing to bet I can have ice in a few hours.

So how do I use the fine technology we have come to accept, called the internet? The blessing, known as a free public library. Thank God for these. I can't believe a mayor, or some other big-wig here in Philly, actually wanted to cut fundings for public libraries! Insanity, I tell you.
I'm surviving on microwavable, frozen dinners, and expensive Chinese and Italian take-outs. Oh, and Coldplay. And the news anchor on Fox 29's news at 11 isn't bad either. Keri something something.

I have fallen in love with Eva Mendes though, so be shush about Keri, everyone. Ever since I saw The Spirit on the big screen that is.

One thing I loved though, how my street became so lively as soon as clocks struck 12 on New Year's Eve. I even went out on the roof I was talking about, a pan and big spoon in hand, striking it in harmony and yelling out "Happy New Year".

The good things in life are, actually, free. Except for an Eva Mendes or a Laptop, though.

No comments: