Feb 20, 2011

They're just words.


Remember I talked about feeling like I’m leading two lives?
I’m in bed, and my very American girlfriend makes me coffee. She’s bringing it to me in bed, and I mumble:
“Udhr rakh do na…”
She gives me one of the most confused looks I’ve ever seen before I finally realize what I just did.
“Um, I meant - put it on the table there. Sorry.”
An honest drugged-up-by-sleep mistake, of course. It’s a bit difficult to be balancing two vocabularies at once, though, I’m not going to lie.
Especially if you take pride in the fact that you’ve managed to learn more words than the average person. In both languages.

4 comments:

Roshni said...

Althoughhhh...You're much more formal in english than urdu -__________-

Daanish said...

Really? That might just be because I write in English. If you maybe saw me speak it wouldn't seem as formal, even though I do tend to talk like no one else does I've noticed.

ms.parker said...

I like your urdu better for some reason. :)

Daanish said...

I constantly feel like I'm going to end up forgetting how to speak in Urdu though.

Luckily, things like that happen and I'm reassured.